What is Parent’s Benefit?
Parent's Benefit is a payment for people in employment to allow them to take time off work, up to seven weeks, to care for their child.
- This leave may be taken any time in the first 24 months after they were born.
- Parent's Benefit leave must be taken in minimum blocks of at least one week.
- These weeks can be combined up to a maximum of seven weeks depending on their circumstances.
- You must apply for Parent’s Benefit within six months of taking your parent’s leave.
From July 2022:
- Parent’s Benefit has increased from five weeks to seven weeks for parents of children born or adopted from July 2022.
- The additional two weeks of Parent's leave applies to parents of children who are under the age of 2 in July 2022, or adoptive children who have been placed with their parents for less than two years in July 2022.
Who can get Parent’s Benefit?
You may get Parent’s Benefit if:
- You have had a child(ren) since 1st November 2019
- You are currently in employment or self-employment
- You have enough PRSI contributions
What do I need to complete the application?
Your child must have a PPS Number
Your child will need to be registered and have a PPS Number in order to make the application.
You must know the start date of your leave.
Agreement from your employer
Leave dates need to be agreed with your employer in advance.
Questions about you, your address, any children and your relationship status.