You will need a verified MyGovID account to use this service.

What is Fuel Allowance?

Fuel Allowance is a payment to help with the cost of heating your home during the winter months. You may qualify for this payment if you are aged 70 or older or if you are receiving long-term social welfare payments and satisfy a means test. Please click here to see a list of all qualifying payments. Please note, people on employment schemes, Jobseekers Allowance or One-Parent Family Payment should contact your local Intreo or Branch Office to make your application.

Only one person per household can receive this payment. If someone in your household is already receiving this payment, you should not apply. If a member of your household is aged 70 or over, they should apply as they may qualify more easily.

Who can get Fuel Allowance?

You may get Fuel Allowance if:

  • You are aged 70 or over and satisfy a means test


  • You are under the age of 70 and are receiving a qualifying social welfare payment from Ireland, the EU or any other qualifying country and satisfy a means test.

and you live alone or only with:

  • A dependent spouse, civil partner or cohabitant and/or dependent children
  • A person receiving short-term Jobseeker's Allowance or basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance
  • Other people who are getting a qualifying payment and who would also be eligible for a Fuel Allowance in their own right
  • A person who is getting Carer's Allowance or Carer's Benefit and is caring for you or for your dependent spouse, partner or cohabitant on a full-time basis

What do I need to complete the application?

You may be asked for information about:

Your relationship details

You will need to provide your relationship status and your partner’s PPS Number, if applicable.

Your finances

You will be asked questions about your financial situation and if applicable, your partner's financial situation.

Your household details

You will also be asked to confirm if anyone in your household is receiving Fuel Allowance. You will also be asked to provide PPS Numbers of other people living in your household and may be asked to provide their income details.

Your payment details

If are not already receiving a payment from the Department, you will be asked for details of your bank account (IBAN) or your nominated post office.

Apply now

You will need a verified MyGovID account to use this service.