Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment
The COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment is available to employees and the self-employed who have lost their job on or after 13 March due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was announced in July that new applications would be accepted until 17 September 2020. This has been extended and new applications will now be accepted until the end of 2020.
You are eligible to apply for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment if
The COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment is available to employees and the self-employed who have lost their job on or after 13 March due to the COVID-19 pandemic and
You have been temporarily laid-off from work or asked to stay at home from work, and
- Your employer is not in a position to retain you on their payroll, and
- You are not in receipt of any employment income and
- Are between 18 and 66 years of age and
- You worked in the Republic of Ireland and
- You are currently living in the Republic of Ireland or
- you are living in Direct Provision and have lost employment due to the COVID-19 pandemic and
- You must be genuinely seeking work
You're NOT eligible to apply for the Pandemic Unemployment Payment if
- You were not laid-off from work by your employer, or
- You are continuing to receive income from your employment, or
- You voluntarily left your employment
Do not claim the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment if your employer has not laid you off or if you were not previously in employment or if you are still in receipt of employment income, or if your employer takes you back onto their payroll.
If you think you inadvertently applied for the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment, or if your employer has re-employed you under the new Temporary Wage Subsidy Scheme, you must close your Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment claim now.
The Department will review all claims. It is engaging with Revenue Commissioners to identify those workers not eligible to avail of the Covid-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment and will take steps to recover any incorrect payment. Any person who knowingly claims the payment in circumstances where they are not entitled to the payment will be prosecuted.
The co-operation of the public in ensuring that only correct claims are submitted is greatly appreciated. This ensures that we can process claims for people who really need the support as quickly as possible.
Continue to apply now for COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment